We are proud to announce that Ronald F. Caza will receive the Key to the City in 2019.
The Key to the City is described as follows:
The Key to the City is the City’s highest and most prestigious honour.
The Key to the City is bestowed upon distinguished persons and honoured guests of the City of Ottawa. The practice of presenting a key to an individual may be traced back to medieval times, when admission into a city was hampered by many legal restrictions, as well as by walls and locked gates. The key symbolized free entry. By the middle 1800’s, it became customary to give a Key to the City as a symbol of the City’s intention that the recipient was free to come and go at will.
Mayor Jim Watson announced this year’s recipients during his State of the City address:
Finally, I’m pleased to announce that I will be recognizing the accomplishments of distinguished individuals this year by presenting the Key to the City to:
- Author, lawyer and political activist Maureen McTeer;
- Olympic gold medalist and decorated figure skater Patrick Chan – who was born in Ottawa;
- Sue Garvey, the Executive Director of Cornerstone Housing for Women;
- former Premier Dalton McGuinty – Ontario’s only Premier to represent Ottawa in the Legislature;
- et le pionnier de la communauté franco-ontarienne d’Ottawa – Ronald Caza.
Congratulations to Ron and all of the other recipients!